It's the holiday season: five family meetings in a row, ten hours of accumulated fatigue. Too many desserts and small bites are in perspective (clearly my case here). The time for a small daily training is limited, to make room for several small toastand above all, a lot of fun! We all go through this once a year, and often this results in a small (or big) disaster for our skin (and even our body in general). Between two Christmas songs, here is a little guide of tips and advice to wear a radiant skin, in this time of frenzy!
Short nights, preceded by a feast of salty food, all mixed with the December temperature changes can lead to fluid retention below the eyes and make you feel puffy!
To remedy :
- Add an extra pillow during sleep. This allows the head to be elevated and so help not to accumulate too much fluids.
- Make compresses of fresh water (the modern method of cucumber compresses). Tap for a few minutes gently the area around the eyes with a cotton swab dipped in cold water.
- At sunrise, gently massage the area around the eyes with a little moisturizing oil or cream (not scented! Very important not to aggravate the situation by irritating your eyes!)
The stress of the holiday season, more make - up than usual, going to bed late, and without having removed make - up / washed face or simply change our usual routine because we are on the move can contribute to the " appearance of buttons.
To remedy / prevent:
- It is imperative to remove make-up and clean your face at the end of each evening, even when half asleep. Bioderma Cleansing Wipes are a little gem.
- Use a regular scrub on a regular basis throughout this period.
- To improve this situation and many others, relax! : P
The house of your host heated with electricity, or even the dry air of the shops, combined with your skating outdoors, all crowned with a few glasses of champagne, can help to dry your skin.
To remedy :
- The best solution will be to use a refreshing, fragrance-free moisturizer, morning and evening! For cases of intense dryness, adding a good moisturizing oil (not an essential oil please!) Can help soothe the skin.
- Installing a humidifier in the bedroom is also a good solution to help remedy this problem.
Lastly, we will never say enough, drinking a lot of water and moving are musts, as much for the body as for the spirit!
Mayo clinic staff. (2014) Bags under eyes. Spotted at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/bags-under-eyes/basics/definition/con-20034185
Yosipovich, G., Tang, M., Dawn, AG, Chen, M., Goh, CL, Chan, YH, & Seng, LF (2007). Study of psychological stress, sebum production and acne vulgaris in adolescents. Acta dermato-venereologica, 87 (2), 135-139.
Chiu, A., Chon, SY, & Kimball, AB (2003). The response of skin disease to stress: changes in the severity of acne vulgaris as affected by stress. Archives of dermatology, 139 (7), 897-900.